Medela Sonata vs. Freestyle Flex: Which Breast Pump Is For You?
The Medela Sonata and Freestyle Flex are two of the most popular breast pumps on the market. Knowing which is best for you can be challenging with so many options!
In this guide, we’ll break down the key differences between these two pumps to help you decide which will work best for your needs.
Medela Sonata Breast Pump Review
The Medela Sonata is a double electric pump with an additional accessory kit. It’s designed to be used with a single breast at a time and has an AC adaptor or rechargeable battery power options.
The Sonata has three different suction speed settings, which makes it easy to find the right level for you. The pump also comes with an LCD showing how long your session will last and when you should change out the parts (which usually need replacing every 20 minutes).
No products found.
It comes with a kit with four bottles, eight lids, and eight nipples. The pump also comes with an AC adaptor or rechargeable battery power options. The Sonata has three different suction speed settings, which makes it easy to find the right level for you.
Pros of Medela Sonata Breast Pump:
- The pump has many extras, including bottles, nipples, and lids.
- It’s easy to operate and hushed.
- It has three suction settings to find the right comfort level.
- The pump is lightweight and easy to carry around.
Cons of Medela Sonata Breast Pump:
- It can be hard to find replacement parts for this pump (especially in remote areas).
- The bottles are not dishwasher safe and should be hand washed or put through a cycle in the microwave.
Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump Review
The Medela Freestyle Flex is a closed-system pump. This means it will not allow you to pump into bottles or bags directly but into the included rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack can be plugged into an outlet or charged via a USB cable (included).
The pump is tiny and portable, making it the perfect option for moms looking for a breast pump that can be taken anywhere. The Medela Freestyle Flex is also extremely lightweight.
No products found.
No products found.
It is one of the best pumps on the market, and exclusive and frequent pumpers can use it. It is easy to use, comfortable, and efficient. It comes with various flange sizes, allowing you to find the right fit for your body type.
Pros of Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump:
- It’s easy to use and clean as no parts need to be assembled or cleaned after each use (wipe down).
- The pump has two rechargeable batteries, so one can always be charged while using the other.
- The pump is highly portable and easy to travel with.
- No parts need to be assembled or cleaned after each use (wipe down).
Cons of Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump:
- It can only be used with the included battery pack; you cannot plug it into an outlet.
- The pump is only compatible with PUREEN and Medela breastmilk bottles; other brands may not fit.
Which pump is better?
Medela Sonata is a hospital-grade pump with a double breast pump, but it costs more than the Medela Freestyle Flex.
If you are looking for a reliable and affordable electric breast pump, we recommend getting either of these two models from Medela since they are both great options!
Here are the main differences between the Medela Sonata and Freestyle Flex:
- The Medela Freestyle Flex and the Medela Sonata have two-phase technology, which essentially means they are designed to mimic your baby’s natural suckbaby pattern. This allows for a more comfortable and efficient pumping experience.
- Both have a double breast pump.
- The Medela Sonata costs more than the Medela Freestyle Flex.
- The Medela Sonata has an LCD for tracking your pumping sessions, and it also comes with a nightlight so that you can see what you are doing in the dark.
- The Medela Freestyle Flex is battery-operated, so you don’t have to worry about plugging in during use.
Medela Sonata vs. Freestyle Flex – Conclusion
As you can see, these two pumps have a few differences.
However, the Freestyle Flex is still one of the best breast pumps for moms on the go because it has everything you need in one package: from portability to comfortability and convenience.